Monday, July 04, 2011

a day for daddy




June 19th is an important date in the calendar as it turned out this year too not only for me but for all the ‘daddy-lovers’ in the world.  This special day for the special person strikes a joyous chord among  everyone irrespective of their ages. As we witnessed on June 19th , newspapers carried special columns covering  segmented  experiences and Twitter too resembled ‘Aladdin’s cave’. Yet, my toiling hard to get an answer to ‘why only this day’ did not reap any fruits.
                I’ve always amazed at the roles taken up moms and dads in the upbringing of their kids. Well, fathers are not known to be emotional and sentimental but at times do expect mass catharsis.  While mom clears the web of confusion regarding what is good and what is bad from our minds, their counterparts have a specific role to play. They don’t teach you what is good or what is bad but they teach you how to make your life beautiful by being yourselves. Dads are not just fathers, not just dour machines but  are mentors, role models, heroes, icons and what not. They add special flavours  to our lives and give that extra element of freedom to be ourselves, to express ourselves. They back us up in crucial times by being assertive.
                As I ink this piece mentioning volumes about these wonderful creations of god, how can I forget about my dad who is my prime source of inspiration to write it.  Motion of every nerve in my body has his influence. One of the early lessons vouchsafed to me was Austerity. This was long before Ranbir Kapoor ‘s “Keep it simple silly” rocked the advertising world. Yes,” Never complicate stuffs, stay abrasive to unwanted luxuries” is his motto. He is my lighthouse that keeps my life ship away from rocks. He is the Oasis in my desert. He is my odd-sixer  in a Rahul Dravid scripted test innings. He is my superhero. Yes, he is.
And Whenever my dad starts a telephone conversation with “do u remember me”, all I do is giggle at first and then silently whisper,” Oh, c’mon dad! my very own existence reminds me of you.” Both of us then step into our own illusive world of laughter.
“Love you Daddy and let us hope against hope that we exchange our roles in our next births so that you will have the taste of your own medicine”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger